Thursday, May 7, 2015

How To Write Facebook Posts That Get Read

 
Have you ever wondered if people are reading your Facebook posts? Or why they don't respond?

To be honest, I did...

I was beginning to feel like no one was listening to what I had to say. I could almost hear the deafening sound of crickets in the background.

So, I decided to switch it up and do an experiment. What I found out... surprised the heck out of me.

Instead of posting quality content I "thought" my audience wanted... I took a chance and put myself out there with a personal post that included a question.

For the first time in a long time,  I became human and the results blew me away!

The question I posted brought in the most engagement I've seen in a long time. Here's a picture of the post I'm referring to:



Notice how the picture, "Anyone There," resonated with the topic? I did that because pictures help attract audiences on Facebook.

In fact, HubSpot claims a picture will generate more likes than the average post.

Well, it worked. The results blew me away. This post outperformed every other post on my page. Here's a picture of my results:




Now for the embarrassing part... my post had a typo in it! I left out the word "up" in my post. I was mortified!

I wish I could say it was part of the experiment, but the truth is, I made a mistake.

That was my "aha" moment. For years I've been so hung up on making everything perfect, I forgot how to get out of my own way and be human.

I also forgot one of the key components in communication... Listening.

By taking a chance and creating a post that asked a question, I was able to connect with my audience and take a real live pulse.

Was I afraid of looking like an idiot if no one responded? You bet I was!  But am I glad I took the chance? Absolutely!

I never dreamed the results would be as positive as they were.

I truly believe being successful in today's online world means being authentic and transparent.  Sometimes we get in our own way because we're so hung up on achieving perfection, we actually forget how to be authentic and sincere.

From now on, I think I’m going to focus more on being human and less on being perfect. From here on forward, I am going to write to express… not impress. And you know, I’ll let you know, how that goes ;-)

Stay tuned... Next week, I'll share the results of how this post performed or didn't perform.

Please share your experiences or comments with me below and as always… I wish you all the best in all that you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment